Thoughts on Two Threads

Yesterday, I downloaded and installed AVwin98, the Windows 95/98/NT
structural analysis and design program that is currently being offered
at no charge to subscribers of the SEAINT Listserv.  This is very
interesting software which is certainly well worth the download time!
The downloaded manual, in Word 97 format, also appears to be very
comprehensive.  AVwin98 is potentially the most useful freeware that I
have downloaded to date (except, of course, for many products of
Microsoft, Netscape, and Pointcast).  It is my understanding that the
free offer to listserv members is only for a limited time, so I
recommend that everyone promptly take advantage of it.  The download
site is at:

http://www.avansse.com/seaint.htm

In my honest opinion, $70,000 is somewhat low for an experienced and
licensed structural engineer.  At least, for anyone over the age of 35.
The majority of engineers that I know all make at least twice their age,
and many make closer to three times their age.  Of course, my experience
has primarily been in Texas, where there is no state income tax, and
large new brick homes in good neighborhoods still sell for less than
$150,000.  This information is not intended to lure anyone to Texas.
Californians, in particular, do not adapt well.  They tend to get
homesick for the ocean, real hills, real trees, moderate temperatures,
earthquakes, mudslides, forest fires, and liberal politicians. !;^>

Stan R. Caldwell, P.E.
Dallas, Texas

<<application/ms-tnef>>