transverse reinforcement for piles

I have designed  a pile and grade beam foundation for a residence in
Palo Alto. My Nonprestressed concrete pile has ties spacing is at 16 "
o.c. but the plan checker came back with a comment that the ties should
be design to be spaced according to UBC section 1921.4.4.1. Has anyone
used this section to design the spacing of the transverse reinforcement?
If so, can anyone be kind enough to walk me through the formula:

Sec. 1921.4.4.1 Transverse Reinforcement

 2. The total cross-section area of rectangular hoop reinforcement
shall  not be less that the given by formulas (21-3) and        (21-4)

Thank you for any respond.

The novice
--
F. Duarte