RE: Re; Plan check submittals and shop drawings

I believe you are mistaken about this point and I would appreciate Jack
Bruce to jump in and clear up any misconceptions on this issue. I believe
DSA recognizes that their desire to have the SER be responsible for the
entire project by stamping and signing drawings and engineering produced by
others is in direct conflict with the California B&P code whereby an
engineer cannot stamp and sign work prepared by others unless that engineer
has responsible charge over that work. At one time, to solve this problem,
DSA published a one or two sentence directive indicating that the SER has
reviewed the drawings prepared by others etc. etc. from which a stamp can be
made and the SER can place this stamp on the drawings.

Outside of that, the only stamp I would place on someone else's drawings is
my shop drawing review stamp. Placing your engineer's stamp on someone
else's drawing for which you did not have responsible charge is in violation
of California's B&P code and, by doing so, would make you guilty of aiding
and abetting an unlicensed person to perform engineering services without a
license.

DON'T DO IT!

Regards,
Bill Allen

P.S.-It would be nice if DSA could offer this document so that SEAOC could
put it on its website.