Re: special inspection of design/build projects

The answers to all your questions are in the code.  See 1701.1, the engineer
acting as the Owner's agent can hire the special inspection firm.  Also, be
careful as EOR for doing special inspections if you do not have all the
typical training AND certification such as ICBO, ACI, and AWS as applicable.
Even as the EOR, the Building Official can deny your being the special
inspector if you don't have certifications customary.  My experience as a
Building Official (previous to this job) is that many good engineer's can
design/calculate but cannot inspect properly and I have had to call them on
their misses.
That's my 0.02$ worth.
Jim Fruit, AIA, Branch Manager
Carl Mileff & Associates,  Building Code Servides (plan review consultant)
cmajose(--nospam--at)aol.com