From: Steve Privett [mailto:eqretrodr(--nospam--at)earthlink.net]
Sent: Wednesday, October 07, 1998 5:28 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Tapered compression edge of sawn beam

I have a situation where the top edge of a sawn beam, or maybe Micro=Lam,
wants to be tapered at a 3:12 slope to stay under the roof sheathing.  Does
anyone have any thoughts on how a taper will effect the shear capacity of
the beam?  The only thing I come up with is to check it as a beam with
several notches at the compression side.

Steve Privett