RE: structural engineer compensation

I do have things, and I do stuff, though my family is of very modest means (a long, personal story) and I daresay my "things" and "stuff" are of much less expense than the average of those on this list.

However, that wasn't my point.  My POINT is, to say that someone who has the means, but chooses to live very modestly and frugally, is just as "badly off" as if they were in poverty, is not reasonable.

My FURTHER point is, that defining someone's "wealth" by how ostentatiously they use it on personal gratification is a new thing.  Wealth used to have social obligation attached.  Now that we have the GOVERNMENT making all such obligation mandatory, I suppose that we all now feel free to ignore any such feelings of obligation (Big Brother is doing it for us).