??Reinforcing DL's in compression??

I have a consultant who proposes to reinforce an underdesigned DL truss
diagonal by welding additional plate to their projecting legs. The area of
steel required is based on the required additional capacity needed. For
welding design, the consultant is using the full axial load in the combined
section in order to determine the length of weld. While this may produce
conservative results, I feel like the approach is not logical. I think the
plate should be attached to the hosting DL's in such a manner to be stable
in compression and to be able to contribute the lacking strength. If the
plate should provide 10 kips of additional capacity, then its weld spacing
should be determined based on stability of the plate in compression, and
allowable compressive stresses associated to that.

What do you think?

I appreciate all comments.

Ghassem.