Re: Design Build / GC-CM

I've worked on a couple of design-build projects as well as several
proposals
for design-build projects.  My main objection to such projects is that "they
are a rip-off to the engineer".  It is difficult to accurately bid a
construction project when the design has not yet been done.  Thus
significant
resources have to be expended during the bid process to develop at least a
preliminary design, so that cost estimates can be prepared.  Sometimes firms
are provided a fixed fee for submitting a bid, but such fees rarely cover
the
actual cost of developing the design-build estimate.  Thus, such projects
substantially increase the cost of getting work.