RE: ??Reinforcing DL's in compression??

Ghassem,

The master for this type of problem is Ray Tide at Wiss, Janney & Elstner.
He has written several articles on reinforcing steel elements under load.  I
have reinforced steel members also by welding reinforcing elements under
load.  You need to evaluate your existing load, the final load on the
element, and the effect of welding.

I generally like to develop a welding procedure to minimize heat input.  The
element will deform due to the welding process.  I don't think that I know
enough about your problem to advise you on a final solution.

Additional questions are:
Is it a case of adding section to increase area to drop the stresses?
Are you adding section to increase the radius of gyration
Is the end connection adequate?

Re:
1.	AISC Engineering Journal, 4th quarter, Reinforcing Steel Members and
the Effects of Welding, by R. H. R. Tide.
2.	Proceedings, AISC National Engineering Conference, New Orleans,
April 1987, Basic Considerations When Reinforcing Existing Steel Structures,
R. H. R. Tide.

Regards,
Harold Sprague, P.E.
The Neenan Company