Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...
Re: Grade Beam design example needed[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
- Subject: Re: Grade Beam design example needed
- From: GRileyPE(--nospam--at)aol.com
- Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 00:40:49 EDT
Dennis, my friend........ Sorry I haven't called or written lately, I've been very busy, I'll tell you about it later. In any case, I can supply the grade beam design, but some things to think about. The steel column will deflect causing maximum moment at the base. This moment is transferred into the grade beam. Design the grade beam for this moment. Then check the soil pressure for vertical loads and moments to make sure that the soil pressure can support the grade beam. Detail the grade beam to steel column in such a way that the steel column flanges can transfer the moment into the reinforcing steel. And also check the embedment of the steel column into the grade beam using a flagpole type of equation. The concrete pad below the grade beam at the steel column purely supports the vertical load in the column. Also, check the base plate design. Transfer base shear through the baseplate weld and into the base plate and then out through the bolts; but be sure to weld only the web to the base plate unless you plan on transferring the column bending moment into the base plate. Bonne Chance, Greg Riley PE Give me a call!
- Prev by Subject: Grade Beam design example needed
- Next by Subject: Grouting or fiberboard between steel tank bottoms and concrete fo undations
- Previous by thread: Grade Beam design example needed
- Next by thread: Fire Damage to Joists