Tension only thrust restraint

I have a pipe thrust restraint problem which I could use some advice on.  I
have 21 kips of pipe thrust 20 feet above grade, which I would like to
resist
by use of a 30-ft long horizontal cable or rod from a vertical pipe support
back to a building structure.  I am trying to avoid thrust at the vertical
pipe support since its support structure below is not adequate to carry the
base reactions if the thrust is included.

I was thinking of using a cable - but in order to minimize cable sag as well
as minimize pipe movement under load, I would need to pretension the cable.
But this in turn puts a horizontal load on my vertical pipe support when
there
is no pipe thrust, which is the same as what I was trying to avoid in the
first place.  So does anyone know of a way to resist such tension due to
thrust without inducing tension due to the catenary effect?  Would a steel
rod
act much different from a steel cable?