RE: Tension only thrust restraint

Depends on the diameter of the rod. The rod has to become quite large in order to minimize the horizontal load effects. The rods can be treated as beams or cables. A small diameter rod will deflect so much under self wieght that it will act like a cable and those equations can be used (structural eng handbook Gaylord, et al 1997  p.27-4).

Tension =(QL^2)   (1+16(F/L)^2)^0.5   /   (8F)
Q IS UDL
L IS HORIZONTAL LENGTH
F IS VERTICAL SAG

As deflection approaches that of a beam then the tension effects will be reduced greatly.
Hope that helps!

David Handy, P.Eng
The Thompson Rosemount Group
Cornwall, Ontario, CANADA
dhandy(--nospam--at)trg.ca
The preceding was an off the record personal opinion only! (cya)