Re: sill plate nailing

Dave-
The answer / recommendation depends on what you're trying to accomplish.   1 1/8" plywood is rather thick & needs a substantial nail to develop the potential strength of thick plywood.  On the other hand your sill material can only stand so much "nail trauma".  This is where your sill nail spacing comes into play.  I'm a little biased towards "smaller" nails because they minimize the trauma to the receiving member.  For a non-predrilled installation my preference is .148 max.  I guess you could go to .162 as long as your nail spacing was adequate but .162 dia nails tend to split or very nearly split the receiving member even prior to loading.

I have tested metal connector straps with both 16d box (.148) & common (.162).  The receiving member was the wide side of a 4x6.  The nail spacing was two rows - each row at 1.75" o/c.  The common nails ALWAYS  had a failure mode that resulted in splitting the timber (even if no splitting was evident prior to loading).  The box nails always allowed the strap to develop its ultimate load and never split the timber.   Admittedly the 1.75" spacing is a little close.  What nail spacing are you thinking about?  If you're in the 3" range you could be safe with a .162 diameter nail.   But I would suggest a 3x or 4x sill with a double row of  .148 nails at 3"  or  4" oc >>>> Maybe a 20d box possibly 30d box

BTW the 1/4" lags will be very strong however somewhat lacking in ductility.

 Robert Kazanjy, PE  **Disclaimer: I speak for myself not UC-Irvine**
 Senior Development Engineer
 Civil & Environmental Engineering
 UC Irvine
 E4130 EG,  Zot: 2175
 rkazanjy(--nospam--at)uci.edu

Nail Size/Type
Nail Length
Nail Dia
Length-1.125
15xDia
Pen.ok ?
16d box
3.5
.148
2.38
1.78
no?
16d common
3.5
.162
2.38
2.43
no?
20d box
4.0
.148
2.88
2.22
yes?
20d common
4.0
.192
2.88
2.88
no?
30d box
4.5
.148
3.38
2.22

30d common
4.5
.207
3.38
3.11

40d box
5.0
.162
3.88
2.43

40d common
5.0
.226
3.88
3.39

Dave Anderson wrote:

Hi everyone

            Just wonder what the best sill plate nailing
            to use when you have 1-1/8" plywood sheathing
            would use 30d or 40d nails or 1/4" lag screw better
            and what size of sill plate without suffering any splitting
            any recommendation

thanx in advance

D.A. P.E.
*   site at: http://www.seaint.org