Re: Explosion Vents

Gordon,

You can refer to NFPA 68, "Guide for Venting of Deflagrations" or Factory
Mutual's Loss Prevention Data Section 1-44, "Damage Limiting Construction".
 These documents will provide guidance on how to size the vent area and how
to predict the 'reduced' internal pressure, pred, for which the structure
is to be designed.  Some details on pressure relieving construction using
light weight vent panels are also given which are different from rupture
disks or membranes.

Vent panels are designed to blow out as a tethered assembly under a
predetermined release pressure.  If the configuration and construction of
your structure and the quantity of 'fuel' are such that the required vent
area is relatively large, vent panels may be needed instead of rupture
disks.  Even though you may not be responsible for the design of the bin
structure, the explosion vent design and structure design have to work hand
in hand to ensure the whole system performs properly.

Walt Sawruk
EQE International, Inc.
Shillington, PA