cavitation of elastomers

Would anyone explain to me cavitation phenomena applied to elastomers?
In a work titled "Mechanical properties of elastomeric base isolators" presented at the 10th European Conference on Earthquake Engineering (1995) A.H. Muhr says:
"Like liquids, elastomers can cavitate when subjected to a hidrostatic tension. Cavitation arises as an elastic inestability when the hydrostatic tension reaches about 3G, and may lead to rupture."
G is the shear modulus and Muhr says it's about .3 - 3 Mpa.
I want to mention it on my graduate research but first I want to understand it well.

Applied to liquids, cavitation refers to the rapid formation and collapse of vapor pockets in a flowing liquid in regions of very low pressure (gas pressure). (http://cavity.ce.utexas.edu). It's of course an inestable and undesirable state.

Sincerely,
Leopoldo Sanz Bocaranda