RE: Plan check submittals and shop drawings

Just got back from the SEAOC convention and got to read all of the
should have noted in my original post that I'm not a licensed engineer and
play no part in the preperation of Vulcraft's plans or calculations.  I've
been associated with the Structural Engineers Associations in both Arizona
& California for the last 15 years as well as during my college days.  I've
obviously discussed the situation in length with engineers who commonly use
our product and many whom I consider good friends.  As such, there opinions
are potentially biased.As discussed with Karim, my interest in his post was
personal since I'm not in a position to make or change policy for the use
of engineering seals by the engineers employed by Vulcraft.  These
independent opinions are interesting and will provide thoughts in
discussions with the decision makers at Vulcraft.  This question has
existed for years and is becoming a more common request from plan check
officials.  The phrase used in my original post, "finishing the design", is
the statement or opinion of some of the various plan check officials whio
are requesting some kind of seal.  The service we provide is dictated buy
the schedules on today's projects.  The urgency of schedule does not allow
for engineers to prepare a complete set of plans like the "good old days."
The various design build components of a project, the sprinkler system, the
mechanical system, conveyor systems, do not occur in a timely manner to
allow both a complete design by the engineer of record and a permit to
start the building.  Hence, the proliferation of deferred approvals.

Anyway, thanks again.  Karim, I'm back in town & will be calling Monday.

Gary Tiedgen