Re: differential settlement

In a message dated 10/10/1998 12:59:01 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
Neno.Grga(--nospam--at)worldnet.att.net writes:

> soils engineer: recommends 2' overexcavating beneath footings. expects
>  settlements of 1" and up to 2" in areas with highly organic material.

Think about what the relative compaction of the garbage is and the depth of
the garbage.  It's probably only 85-90% compacted,  plus decay of the organics
will result in more depression.  Settlements of only 1"-2" would mean perhaps
a dump depth of only two feet at these rates,  which seems unlikely.  I'd
expect much higher settlements over time.

Ron Fong
Fremont,  CA