Re: differential settlement

Neno wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Neno <Neno.Grga(--nospam--at)worldnet.att.net>
To: seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org <seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org>
Date: 10. listopad 1998 21:00
Subject: differential settlement

>i have a question:
>we are planning to build a community center in tijuana, mexico. it's a two
>story wood construction. the size of the first, central, part is 20'x100'.
>two more "wings" (40'x60') will be added in the near future. it is
>relatively light building (load to footings is approx. 1000 plf).
>
>the problem: the site is an old garbage dump.
>
>soils engineer: recommends 2' overexcavating beneath footings. expects
>settlements of 1" and up to 2" in areas with highly organic material.
>
>question: based on the size of the building (overall), can the structure
>handle that type of the settlemenent? any thoughts? any literature?
>
>thank you
>
>neno grguric
>rlse

Generally speaking, wooden houses are not sensible on the differential
settlement because they are very elastic and light. The problem could be
solved with corner columns connected with beams (calculated as beam on the
elastic media). For examples and references see Nonweiler's Soil Mechanics.

Damir