Re: differential settlement

>If you know depth of the garbage dump, my recommendation would be to
>replace that completely with a structural fill.
Strictly anecdotal, but a city near us has gone through a progressive
nightmare with construction over an old landfill. There was a big problem
with methane seepage which resulted in closing of a restaurant as a
potential fire hazard. More methane seepage was reported in a nearby
housing development. More problems with a country road which wouldn't
stay level. The county is trying to re-work the road yet again and
considerable expense. Settlement may be a problem, but settlement plus
methane seepage sound like it'd just spoil your whole weekend.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw