Re: Plan check submittals and shop drawings

     I recently had a steel fabricator ask me to draw shop drawings. I usually
am on the design side but the building was simple and he agreed to a good fee.
This is for a national retail chain that is easily recognizable. The plan i
was given had no structural engineer listed or stamps but the architects
letterhead was from the midwest. The building was a square box of masonry
walls and steel truss/ deck roof which was detailed by others. I only had to
detail the 10 col's and 5 wide flange beams and wall embeds. It seemed very
simple. I had assumed there were more drawings coming. After a dozen RFI's (
request for info )  i realize there is a problem. These incomplete plans were
approved by Fresno, CA  B & S. When i asked for beam to beam connection
details like plate thicknesses and bolt sizes,  ( that i always provide on my
design plans of other projects ) the response to RFI was that i should be
providing these, which seemed odd since i don't know the loads.
       When i RFI'd about chord forces since i did'n't see a load path , i was
told use 9 kips but not told how to develop it with a detail.
      I was always taught that plans should be complete and shop drawings are
for a fabricators use in fabrication but maybe i am missing something and it
is done differently East of California ( not meant as an insult ). I can't
imagine my office issuing plans that do not show how many bolts to use in a
connection.
     I would like to know what others think. If the EOR insists on just giving
a connection load and leaving the connection design up to me as the
fabricator's engineer, is this common ( include your location please ).
     In addition, how far should l go when i notice defficiencies in areas
outside my contract ( i don't see ties in the top 5" of masonry pilasters for
example and i wasn't even really looking ).

Thanks in advance.

Tom Harris , SE
Thousand Oaks, CA