Re: Plan check submittals and shop drawings

See sections 3 and 4 of the AISC code of standard practice, and chapter J,
section 1, "design basis" in the AISC specification.  The engineer may
require the development of the connections on the shop drawings rather than
the design drawings.  I would have expected to see a structural steel
specification issued with the design drawings clarifying the design basis to
be used in developing the connections.  Perhaps you did not get a copy.  The
design is not complete without this specification.

This procedure is common in the eastern US, in most US heavy industrial work
west or east, and in most international work.  To my knowledge, shop drawing
review and approval by the engineer is a standard requirement throughout.

Jim Caid