RE:Proposed OSHA rules

The proposed OSHA rules are very scary.  You can download them from the web
site (www.osha.gov)

What is probably worse is the technical criteria the regulations set forth
is not necessarily adequate and as a result may give everybody a false
sense of security.

The basic position that we should take is that, the Contractor and only the
Contractor has the ability and authority to insure that the work site is
safe and as a result the Contractor should be responsible for site safety.
 The Contractor can hire an engineer to assist him but except in very rare
instances the Structural Engineer of Record does not have any special
insights that the Contractor needs to safely erect the steel frame.

I would suggest that the problems with erection safety have very little to
do with a lack of engineering attention and very much to do with the
attitudes of the Contractor and the workmen.  What would prevent the
Contractor from implementing the new safety regulations before adoption by
OSHA?

As Phil said vote early, vote often.

Mark Gilligan
Markkgilligan(--nospam--at)compuserve.com