Re: transverse reinforcement for piles

     Original Message:

        From: Sandra Estrella <sestrella(--nospam--at)leasung.com>
        To: "seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
        Subject: transverse reinforcement  for piles

        I have designed  a pile and grade beam foundation for a residence
        in Palo Alto. My Nonprestressed concrete pile has ties spacing is
        at 16 " o.c. but the plan checker came back with a comment that the
        ties should be design to be spaced according to UBC section
        1921.4.4.1. Has anyone used this section to design the spacing of
        the transverse reinforcement?
        If so, can anyone be kind enough to walk me through the formula:

        Sec. 1921.4.4.1 Transverse Reinforcement

        2. The total cross-section area of rectangular hoop reinforcement
        shall  not be less that the given by formulas (21-3) and
        (21-4)

        Thank you for any respond.

        The novice
        --
        F. Duarte

     UBC Section 1809.5.2.2 provides the transverse reinforcement
     requirements, for nonprestressed concrete piles, in seismic zones
     3 & 4.  This section lists an exception that eliminates the
     requirement to exceed the transverse reinforcement determined by
     Formulae 21-2 & 21-4 of Section 1921.4.4.1.
     As an aside; if this project was in a seismic zone other than 3 or 4,
     then the code does not provide any minimum transverse reinforcement
     requirement, for nonprestressed concrete piles.  Reference UBC Chapter
     18 and ACI 318 Section 1.1.5.

     Evan Jorgensen, S.E.
     Fluor Daniel