UBC Section 1633.2.8

Greetings All,

I just attended a seminar put on by SEAO here in Portland that talked about many of the seismic provisions in the 1997 UBC.  One of the provisions that prompted much discussion and disagreement was Section 1633.2.8, which states in part that for masonry and concrete walls "...in Seismic Zones 3 and 4, diaphragm to wall anchorage using embedded straps shall have the straps attached to or hooked around the reinforcing steel or otherwise terminated to effectively transfer forces to the reinforcing steel.".  It was the "or otherwise terminated" part that caused the disagreement.  Some felt that the strap had to be hooked around or physically attached to the reinforcing steel.  Others said that it was necessary only to have the reinforcing steel cross the strap's shear cone.  I would like to hear other opinions.

Kipp Martin, P. E.