RE: Attachments and tables

Two posts came within the last 24 hours. One contained a 10K AutoCAD
Sketch and the other an embedded table. I felt that these were excellent
uses of our communication on the list. I have been hesitant to add
anything to my posts in the past for fear of creating a slow-down and
possibly setting a precedence which might lead to a clogged
communication link.
I would like comments from others. Personally, I find these types of
attachments to be very important to the intent of the post. I would like
to be able to include a sketch for particular problems and would
appreciate others who do the same.
Let's discuss this so we can create an agreeable standard for submitting
sketches to the list.

Dennis Wish PE

Dennis:

Although I am not AOL-challenged, as so many others appear to be, I
nevertheless do not favor including attachments with posts to this
listserv.  As I have written previously, it is my belief that the
listserv works best when all posts meet the lowest common denominator:
plain text without attachments.  Anyone who wants to offer an attachment
can do so, and those wanting it can then request/receive it by private
email.

The first problem with attachments is bandwidth.  Perhaps Shafat could
enforce a strict limit of 30 KB, or so, by stripping all larger
attachments at the server.   Another problem is formats.  What might be
common to one reader might be foreign to another.  For example, PDF
files are pretty basic, but probably less than a third of the listserv
subscribers have Adobe Acrobat loaded to read them.  In my case, I don't
personally use any CADD software, and my computer cannot open a CADD
file.

Stan R. Caldwell, P.E.
Dallas, Texas

We are born with our eyes closed and our mouths
open, and we spend our whole lives trying to
reverse that mistake of nature.
                                                   ... anonymous