FW: Plan check submittals and shop drawings

In UBC jurisdictions, we need to be mindfull of UBC 1631.2.3, which requires
that all connections resisting seismic forces to be designed and detailed on
the drawings.

Curt La Count, P.E.
Jacobs Engineering
Portland, OR

See sections 3 and 4 of the AISC code of standard practice, and chapter J,
section 1, "design basis" in the AISC specification.  The engineer may
require the development of the connections on the shop drawings rather than
the design drawings.  I would have expected to see a structural steel
specification issued with the design drawings clarifying the design basis to
be used in developing the connections.  Perhaps you did not get a copy.  The
design is not complete without this specification.

This procedure is common in the eastern US, in most US heavy industrial work
west or east, and in most international work.  To my knowledge, shop drawing
review and approval by the engineer is a standard requirement throughout.

Jim Caid