RE: Re: Plan check submittals and shop drawings

I have worked on projects all over the US and world for firms based in the
Midwest and in the Mountain states.  And I have worked as a detailer in my
distant past.

It is not all that difficult for the EOR to develop a standards sheet
linking a connection detail to a load that appears on the plans.  The EOR
will not cover every connection, nor will he do the connections as the
fabricator wants, but if the loads are posted, the detailer can propose
alternatives.  The fabricator will want connections that work with his shop.
Example: If he wants to use a beam line most efficiently, he may want to
avoid welded shear tabs.

Also speaking as a former iron worker, the proposed OSHA Subpart R is a good
thing.  Some of the fabricators, detailers, and erectors are already using
it.   I would hope that structural engineers look at it as an opportunity to
help figure out how to build what they have designed.

Regards,
Harold Sprague, P.E.
The Neenan Company
2620 E. Prospect Ave..