RE: ROCK ANCHOR PROOF TESTING

Proof testing a soil or rock anchor to 1/3 of its design load proves it can
withstand [or not withstand] 1/3 of its design load.

Typically performance and proof tests (not the same thing) test an anchor to
1.33xDesign Load, although occasionally 1.5x is specified.

For a much more definitive discussion refer to:

"Recommendations For Prestressed Rock and Soil Anchors"
POST-TENSIONING INSTITUTE
171 W. Northern Ave, Suite 218
Phoenix, AZ 85021
(602)870-7540
The 1986 edition was $9.00

3.0 ROCK ANCHORS
Section 3.7 Anchor Testing and Stressing
Section 3.7.1 Performance Test
Section 3.7.2 Proof Test
Section 3.7.3 Creep Test
Section 3.7.4 Further Checks

5.0 SOIL ANCHORS
Section 5.5 Anchor Testing and Stressing
Section 5.5.1 Performance Test
Section 5.5.2 Proof Test
Section 5.5.3 Creep Test
Section 5.5.4 Further Checks

You also could contact the nearest office of Dywidag Systems International
for technical assistance. I'm not sure who they have in the pacific
northwest. Their western division headquarters is in Long Beach, CA
(562)531-6161. Ask for Mike Kelley.

Hope this helps,

Brent Koch
Livermore, CA