RE: COMP:Freeware?

J.
I think my current post will respond to your comments. I only have one thing
to add to my post (which I hope you will consider before this one). If a
developer of a widely used and respected software decided (at some point) to
give his software away, would you consider it any less accurate or reliable
because it is now free?
There is a fundamental difference in our discussions between what is
freeware and what is given away as a promotion or as restitution for a past
problem. I use many non-engineering freeware and have not had any problems
with them. Microsoft gives away software often. I have purchased shareware
from companies who survive on the sale of their software or who receive
licensing from other sources and who give away smaller limited versions
(WinZip, Copernic 98, MS Internet Explorer, Netscape etc). These are
promotions given as freeware which are maintained and which evolve under the
scrutiny of the public's eye. The sucess of each of these companies lie in
sucessful sales of their other products or indirectly from the use of these
programs which are tied in some manner to other products.
This is my point. I don't agree that a freeware or shareware products need
be considered any more or less buggy than any product released to the
general public. I also feel that when a software vendor relies upon the
quality of his product to sell more product, he has nothing to gain and
everything to lose should he give away any product that is any less reliable
than the products he sells.
The types of products that you describe are typically hobbies or volunteer
offerings that the developer hopes will generate enough income to help
support the maintanence of his software or lead him permanently into a new
venture. Other products start as shareware because the developer can not
invest enough capital into creating a sufficient number of packages needed
to satisfy the minimum requirments of a mass merchandiser. One such product
was recently (about six months ago) listed under Share.com's top ten - and
is marketed by our own Shafat Qazi of BQE Software. This is BillQuick, a
very powerful and fine billing software for consultants. BillQuick is
downloadable as shareware and is supported almost entirely by the shareware
sales. In addition, BQE now has more than four full time tech support
representatives, a full website devoted to upgrades, tech support options,
trialware (shareware) and news of upcomming future releases. In addition,
the sale of the product has generated capital to invest in upgrades. Sales
through shareware also generate income to allow for more mainstream
advertising - but sales are still considered direct and the trial download
qualifies it as shareware.

Therefore, I don't feel that your opinions can be considered reliable in all
situations - surely not in the examples I've just mentioned and not in the
case of FastFrame or Avansse. To lable them as such is really doing them a
disservice.

As far as a "bug is a bug" I refer you to my email post earlier today. In a
very limited context that you indicate, I would agree. I just don't feel
that the majority of tech support calls uncover what the caller believes to
be a *bug*.

I'll end on this note.

Dennis