UBC Section 1633.2.8

The ICBO Commentary to the 1997 UBC revisions states that this code
section is in response to Northridge PA style anchorage failures.  No
mention is made about anchor bolts or drilled-in anchors.  It seems
clear to me the intent was to address the PA Strap type anchors and not
the bolts.

For the straps, I would personally feel that the shear cone should
engage a rebar by a "healthy" amount.

John Lawson SE
Kramer & Associates Structural Engineers, Inc.
jlawson(--nospam--at)kramerinc.com