Re: Two way slab designed as one way

At 01:21 13/10/98 -0400, you wrote:
>In a message dated 10/9/98 9:24:40 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
>anacio(--nospam--at)skyinet.net writes:
>
><< Dick,
>
> How can there be flexural cracking  if   it  is designed to have one way
> action.
> In my opinion, the moments will be redistributed in the short direction
> before any failure occurs.
>  >>
There is a difference between failure and cracking. Moments will not redistribute until the concrete becomes inelastic, ie it cracks, and then moments will redistribute to an inelastic load path you have provided. This cracking will not cause flexural failure as long as you have provided an adequate alternate load path. Shear failure is still a possibility if the supports are columns.
The ACI code does not allow you to redistribute 100% of the moment at a cross section as you are suggesting, I do not know about UBC but I assume it is similar.

Regards Gil Brock
Prestressed Concrete Design Consultants Pty. Ltd.
5 Cameron St.,  Beenleigh Qld. 4207 Australia
Ph  +61  7 3807 8022 Fax  +61  7 3807 8422
gil(--nospam--at)rapt.pcdc.com.au