Re: Vapor Barrier

Brian K. Smith wrote:

>I personally like using the 3" barrier when possible; however, half the
contractors call my office and tell me I have an error on my plans. <

I agree - I generally specify the 3" of sand when using a vapor barrier but
also generally am questioned why the sand is on top of the vapor barrier
instead of below it.  When I say it is correct as shown, I'm told "I've
never
seen it done that way".  Perhaps if enough of us specify it, someday
contractors will get used to seeing it.

I don't always use a vapor barrier under slabs on grade - I use it when
there
are finishes which are sensitive to moisture or when a damp floor is
undesirable, but I don't automatically use it under "all" slabs on grade.