Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...
Piles[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: "seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
- Subject: Piles
- From: Patrick Rodgers <prodgers(--nospam--at)earthlink.net>
- Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 21:44:29 -0700
Dear All (Especially Dennis Wish); We are doing a hospital addition in Indio. The building is located on what the geotechnical engineer said was a lake 400 years ago, so the site has lots of poorly compacted lens of soils at various depths, too deep to dig up and recompact. The soils report states that during an earthquake, the site would see 1.8" dynamic consolidation of the sands and 0.6" liquefaction (I think). Needless to say, this is causing some problems. The owner's rep thinks piles for a 2 story building is absurd. But trying to deal with with 2.4" settlement within 30' is absurd, too. Questions to the crowd: 1. Has anybody designed or seen a design for a building on piles in the Indio area? 2. The geotechnical engineer said that the check on dynamic consolidation is something they have just started doing. Does anyone have an idea how OSHPD would react to a soils report such a large settlement? Thanks in advance. Patrick Rodgers
- RE: Piles
- From: Dennis S. Wish PE
- RE: Piles
- Prev by Subject: Re: Piers & Transverse Ties
- Next by Subject: RE: Piles
- Previous by thread: Re: Duplication of others work. QUESTION????
- Next by thread: RE: Piles