RE: Re: Plan check submittals and shop drawings

Harold

I am in agreement that the something needs to be done about erection
safety.  I believe that in many instances the erector should hire an
engineer to develop a safe procedure.  My point though is that the project
SEOR is not the best choice even if we ignore the liability issues.  As you
pointed out what is needed is an engineer who specializes in this area, not
somebody who does this as a sideline.  The average structural engineer is
not qualified to deal with many of the safety issues.

I believe that were there a market for an engineer specializing in erection
safety you would find people willing to help.  The liability issues should
not be much different from those faced by engineers who design temporary
shoring.  By working directly for the contractor many of the problems the
SEOR would have go away.

There is nothing that prevents the steel erector from hiring an engineer to
help him develop erection procedures other than the cost.  It is cheaper to
continue killing off a few iron workers every year or so, and paying the
insurance, than it is to improve the situation.   I am sorry if  I am crude
but this is the reality.   If the employer was held financially accountable
then we sould see some action.

Apparently on some projects the Contractor has agreed to wave his immunity
to being sued in an atempt to improve construction safety.  This immunity
was given the imployer by the workmans compensation laws.

The iron workers have not always helped the process of change.  It has been
widely reported that the iron workers have resisted the imposition of many
of the new regulations.

I keep comming back to the position that the best way to improve
construction safety is to nominate one individual with this responsibility.
 This individual has to have both the authority and the means to control
the site and the economic motivation to do a good job.  I believe that the
steel industries atempt to drag the SEOR into this role is a reflection of
their unwilliness to address the issue.  They are looking for somebody else
to take them off of the hook.

Sure I am concerned about my liability but I also believe that putting the
liability on the sholders of the SEOR will not solve the problem.

Mark Gilligan
markkgilligan(--nospam--at)compuserve.com