Re: Structural Software

Bill Polhemus wrote:

> Please don't take this amiss, but I have a hard time imagining a structural engineering shop that can't run software for OSes other than DOS.
>
> Heck, you can get a 200MHZ Pentium setup now, fully featured, with Windows 98 loaded, for well under $1,000.  What are you running?

No offense taken.  The hardware is not the problem.  Converting all of
my software has a huge expense in both upgrades and learning curve.  The
worst portion would be the Pascal complier upon which I depend.
Learning yet another new computer language is not a tempting prospect,
particularly when the anticipated benefits are minimal.  As I said, for
canned structural analysis RISA works just fine.  All my other structual
design software is in Borland Turbo Pascal, and again works just fine.
I can see the handwriting on the wall, though, and will probably bite
the bullet when NT.5 is released.  However, I feel no compulsion to
march, lock-step, to Gate's tune every time he wants another couple of
billion dollars.

Phil Hodge
phil(--nospam--at)joistdesign.com