Re: Duplication of others work.

Bill-
Everyone does do it.  General Notes and typical details are industry standards.
Everyone pretty much uses the same details and notes.  Look at your own drawings
and see how much of your typical details and notes are completely original.  I
mean how many ways can you draw up a standard holdown detail?  If you make
improvement to your own offices typical details in due time the improvements in
one form or another will show up on other engineers drawings.  No one gets
excited (usually).  When we first started using AutoCAD back in 1985, we put a
lot of our typical details on the computer.  In the process, we slightly
improved on details we had "stolen" from others, who had stolen from others, who
had stolen form others......
In time, we noticed that "our" slight improvements to some of the typical
details started showing up on other engineers drawings.

Unless you can patent something, you should realize that once your details and
notes are "out there", they will be copied if they are any good.

Now just changing a title block for a new project is a very different violation
than using typical details and general notes that you found you liked.

Lynn