RE: Vapor Barrier

What is the purpose of the "vapor barrier"?

I have typically understood this barrier to actually be a capillary break
between the slab and the supporting base rather that a vapor barrier as
found in above grade walls.  This is a key element especially if the area
will be interior to the building envelope.  If this is the case, the
performance of the capillary break will be largely dependant upon surface
area rather than the integrity of the element.

Based on this, I generally specify that holes be punched in the barrier
before placing sand or gravel on top of the barrier and that the sand/rock
be dampened just prior to placing concrete.

Hal Riddle