Re: Vapor Barrier

Two recent projects I have worked on, with two different architects, the architect has specified 10 mil vapor "retarders" as well as 4000 psi concrete with limits on admixtures. The explanation I received is that they, the architectural profession, are experiencing alot of moisture transmission problems and damaged flooring over an extended period of time. The current thought seems to be that the deterioration of the visqueen, coupled with the higher porosity of lower strength concrete and liberal use of admixtures are to blame.

Both specs have prompted calls from the contractors, usually questioning everything from my place of origin to my sanity :-)

Has anyone else experienced similar requests?