RE: Duplication of others work.

I admit to some degree of ignorance on this subject--unlike many of you, I am an EMPLOYEE of a consulting firm, not working for myself, and leave much of the details of the contracts to the higher-ups.

That said, my impression has been that TxDOT considers that they have "purchased" the Plans, Specifications and Estimates from the Engineer, and now own them.

When you are doing work for TxDOT, you are doing things in more or less a standard way.  We reuse a great many of our details, of course.  So the subject of our being able to reuse our own product is moot.

Also, unlike in the commercial sector, TxDOT as a client is unique in that it has design capability.  In fact, as consultants we are simply part of the "privatization" of the work that they themselves have been doing for years.  Unlike a commercial developer for example, who may take plans commissioned by him, and rendered by one engineer on one project, and transfer them to another engineer working another project for his use, WE are typically taking TxDOT standards and utilizing them as a point of departure.

So it's a different situation.

I think that the motivation behind TxDOT's copyrighting the plans, is that they have had instances of people getting hold somehow of electronic versions of plans, and "ripping them up" to dig out the useful details, then selling them as part of CAD-based detailing packages.  At least, that's what I hear.