Re: Bridge Posting (for Ontario lurkers)

I, for one, think that the reason for not allowing heavy traffic loads on
the bridge at the service state is that it would reduce the fatigue life of
the components drastically.

I hope you find my reasoning acceptable,

Majid Sarraf,

http://www.uottawa.ca/~s056517

>I found the answer to why the bridge posting values are so much lower than
those of the standard OHBDC truck.

>The OHBDC truck loads include the overload allowances. For example the 38
Tonne value used for a level 1 truck represents a 25 Tonne legal load as per
the highway traffic act.  This answers the reality that a truck driver who
sees a load limit automatically assumes that it is really safe to add 50% to
the posted load limit.

>BTW, next year the OHBDC will no longer exist as CSA-S6 is now being
rewritten to combine the efforts of CSA and MTO.

>It will be nice to use the same code that the rest of the country uses.
>Thanks to those who responded to the query.
>
>David Handy, P.Eng
>The Thompson Rosemount Group
>Cornwall, Ontario, CANADA
>dhandy(--nospam--at)trg.ca

              ~      ~           ~ ___
                       [_________]-|__)
              __________OO______O__O_O___________________________
                  |==========================================|
                   \               Majid Sarraf             /
                    \             Ph.D Candidate           /
                     \   Department of Civil Engineering  /
                      |        University of Ottawa      |
                      |           Ottawa, Ontario        |
                      |            Canada K1N 6N5        |