Re: Vapor Barrier

Donald L. Carr wrote:

> I have been following the discussion of the vapor barrier and the
> sand or gravel layer under a slab.
> Can anyone help me with a question?
>  " Is this a detail you would specify for a commercial slab
> on grade design, a residential slab design, or any ground slab design
> depending on the loading conditions?"
> Thanks for your opinions.
> Don Carr
>
> Donald L. Carr
> dcarr(--nospam--at)nahbrc.org
> NAHB Research Center, Inc.
> 400 Prince Georges Blvd.
> Upper Marlboro, MD 20774
> 301-249-4000 x575
> http://www.nahbrc.org

I typically use the 3" sand barrier vapor barrier only on commercial
projects in which the slab-on-grade is poured sep. from the grade beams
and/or spread footings.  Most residences in this area (Louisiana) are
monolithicly poured stiffened rib foundations, primarily
post-tensioned.  I also do not trust the quality of the residential home
builders around here.

I never use the 3" sand barrier in monolithic slabs or post-tensioned
slabs.

Brian K. Smith, P.E.