From: BRBATES(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:BRBATES(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 15, 1998 9:03 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Really clear Windows Error Messages:>)

Dennis Wish wrote:

<<
 If you run Dr. Watson with Windows it's suppose to help you track down the
 cause of a system crash. Even Einstein couldn't figure this one out:>)

 "The application overflowed its stack.  This is typically caused by
 unrestricted recursion or an exception inside an exception handler."

 Glad to see that Microsoft is improving product reliability - any bet's I
 won't be able to find this one on their knowledgebase?

Dennis,

What you have here is probably a legitimate program bug, unless the software
advertises a "quick return to the operating system" feature ;-) .

What's probably happening inside the program is that a subroutine is being
called recursively, i.e. it's looping back on itself. For example,
subroutine
A calls subroutine B. Subroutine B calls subroutine C, and then subroutine C
calls subroutine A. Each subroutine allocates stack space, which is
automatically freed when the subroutine terminates, but because of the
recursion, subroutine A's stack is never released and in fact is being
allocated again and again until finally there's no stack left and the error
is
generated by the OS.

This kind of error is not uncommon in beta releases during the software
development process, but should not occur in a production release.

This is not a user error, this is a program error. About the only thing you
can do other than contacting the program vendor and requesting a fixed
version
is to identify the sequence of events that triggered the error and avoiding
that sequence in the future.

Regards,

Bruce Bates
RISA Technologies

P.S. If you now tell me you got this error when running a RISA product, I'll
have to kill myself.