RE: Fall Protection

I did some anchorage calcs for a fall protection system about a year
ago.  Mine was a window washing system tie-off.  If I remember
correctly, the trick was to try to get an "engineered system" to meet
the OSHA requirements, which would produce a force less than 5000
pounds.  These "engineered systems" consist of springs and other devices
that absorb some of the energy from the falling person.  The system we
used was quite expensive, but I have noticed that even Unistrut now has
an engineered fall protection system available.  They might be able to
help reduce the force you need to design for.

In my case, I ran a few side calcs and realized that a 200 pound person
falling from a structure can easily produce the 5000 pound force.  But
both the structure and the falling individual would be better off if the
force was substantially reduced.  I used the recommendations from the
system manufacturer and designed for only about 2,000 or 2,500 pounds,
without any 1/3 stress increase in the allowables.

Hope that helped,

Mike Ritter, PE