From: Charley Hamilton [mailto:chamilto(--nospam--at)eng.uci.edu]
Sent: Thursday, October 15, 1998 2:03 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Windows 98

Karen -

	many of the programs i've used (like Matlab, for instance)
do not run on Win98 without a lot of help.  Matlab released a patch
so now it's "okay", but it still doesn't solve all of the conflicts.

	I'm not sure win98 will *run* on a FAT16 system.  Talk to
somebody
relatively reputable (the guys at CompUSA usually answer my questions
pretty
straight & with minimum of sales-pitch) about it.  Also, check on
products
such as System Commander, which allows multiple OS's to be run on a
single
machine.  The usual lose about multiple OS's is that they each need to
get
their own partition on the machine.  So a 6 gig HD carrying 3 OS's
swiftly
gets turned into three 2 gig partitions which cannot be shared between
OS's.
One win might be that separate partitions can be formatted differently
(i think) so you could have a FAT16 partition for 3.x, and FAT32
partitions
for 95 & 98.

	Good luck,

	Charley

---------
Charles Hamilton, EIT				Phone:	949.824.8257
(office)
Graduate Student					949.856.2797
(home)
Department of Civil and 			FAX:	949.824.8694
Environmental Engineering			Email:
chamilto(--nospam--at)eng.uci.edu
University of California, Irvine