RE: Duplication of others work.

Thanks Steve - this is how I would interpret the copyright protection.
Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Privett [mailto:eqretrodr(--nospam--at)earthlink.net]
Sent: Thursday, October 15, 1998 11:27 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Duplication of others work.

There are several issues with copyright law and I'm not attempting to
address them all.  I believe the using of "typical details and notes" falls
into a category that has specific concerns.  These opinions are based on
conversations with a copyright attorney who was down the hall from me 18
years ago when I opened shop, and additional research I've done for some of
my other interests.

First we accept the idea that you put 3 engineers in separate rooms with
the UBC, and tell them to detail rebar bends, you will come up with
drawings that have the same information. (hopefully)  The information on
those drawings cannot be copyrighted.  What is copyrighted is actual
presentation or creation of the drawing that represents the information.
Even though it is very probable, that with our individual experience, we
will layout the drawing in a similar manner, and maybe even identical, when
it is something so basic, one cannot copyright the info and even the
layout.  But if those three different details are then copied,
electronically, photographically, or some other manner that reflects the
absence of individual creation, it is a violation of the copyright laws.

If we take someone's drawings, whether a complete set or a detail, and cut
and paste them into our drawings, we are technically in violation of
copyright laws.  If however, we use someone else's drawings as a "guide"
for our individual design and drawings, and we recreate drawings that
reflect the same info, we now have copyright protection for our
representation of that information, and of course the liability that goes
along with it.

For additional reading on copyrights, I suggest
http://lcweb.loc.gov/copyright/circs/circ1.html

Steve P