Re: Vapor Barriers

I did not state it very clearly, but I certainly am not advocating poking
holes in a vapor barrier nor do I specify it. I was simply attempting to
explain why some engineers  may still do it. I think it may have started
years ago when we used to put vapor barriers directly under the slabs. This
may have been an attempt at solving some of the other problems (ie plastic
shrinkage cracking, curling and bleeding). I see no need for punching holes
in the vapor barrier if the 3" sand above it is used.

Jim Kestner, P.E.