RE: New Win 98 Questions

Hurricane corrupted some files somewhere on my computer which affected boot
up for a while. I randomly re-installed some software and finally got rid of
the problem. Needless to say Hurricane is far away from my computer.

Prior to installing Hurricane, I tried Magna Ram which worked pretty good
and did not create any additional problems on my machine. However both of
these programs were trying to do something that I ended up doing and that I
should have done in the first place: add more ram. I am now running 128mb
and things run better. I have over 600kb conventional memory free to run a
DOS program (should that need ever arise) and the system hasn't run much
better. The price of RAM is cheap these days. I would recommend staying away
from the "gimmicks" that additional RAM would do better.

I think if you "tweak" your installation where you only load and run the
things that make you productive (no gimmicks, tricks, etc.), you can get a
Win98 box running pretty slick. I still have to reboot about once a day, but
that's a lot better than it used to be. I keep Outlook98 on my desktop, run
Quickbooks timer in the background, I usually have a couple of Autocad
sessions going, MS word and excel of course. And yes, once in a while, I
have been known to fire up Internet Explorer.

With regards to an aversion to MS products, I tried that with disappointing
results. A lot of other software will do similar things as MS products, but
not integrated nearly as well, IMO. I am starting to use hyperlinks in my
word documents a lot (links in my calculation table of contents and "to do"
lists by project are two big examples). OL express and WP Corel Central have
much less overhead (10mb vs. 23), but I have to give up something (and I
HATE when that happens). Netscape does run better in general (except at MS
sites) and secure transactions work best for me via Netscape.

One of the best features about Win98 (again, IMO) is the additional help
available through any Windows program through Help/About/System Info then
select Tools from the Menu Bar and select System Configuration Utility. At
this point, the user can select (and more importantly de-select)
applications loaded at startup to identify a particularly contankerous
application.

Since I installed Win98, my system has been a lot more stable than under
Win95. I'm not sure I am totally sold on the FAT32, though since the
tradeoff for HDD space is a larger RAM demand. HDD space is a lot cheaper
than RAM (even though RAM has gotten a lot cheaper).

Regards,
Bill Allen