Re: Fw: Vapor Barrier

Now I think we are getting into the realm of theory vs. practicality.  It has been my experience that a slab poured in contact with the barrier is subject to curl because of the differential migration of the the water.  If a contractor were to cure a slab
like the specifications called--keep it moist at all times, there should not be any curl and there would be no need to use sand or gravel.  Unfortunately, to cure a slab like the specifications call is expensive.  Contractors want to pour the slab and get
on with the rest of construction.  This is one reason why they want to sawcut joints instead of using zip strips or similar products.

This is a very interesting concept, Thor.  I would pose the general question--would a slab perform better if it were cured properly and used a barrier directly under the slab?  Secondly, in the overall scheme of things, would this system be more
economical than using sand or gravel?

Any takers on this one?