RE: New Win 98 Questions

In defence of Hurricane - I've used the program in two different versions
since the release of Windows 95 and have never had it corrupt any files. The
only way I would understand something like this happening is if the user
creates a RAM Drive to store temporary files and the computer locks up. The
temp files stored in RAM will not be written to the hard drive and the files
which have not been saved will be lost. This is typical of RAM disks which
were created even back in the days of DOS.

The effect that RAM compression programs have upon your computer has a lot
to do with the software that is running concurrently. When I compared my
configuration.  After loading Hurricane, I was able to open more than twice
as many programs includeing the following and activly switch between them.
(1)Word for Windows,(1) Excel, (3) Autocad R14, (1)MathCad, (1) Photoshop,
(1) Outlook, (3)Filemanagers, (2)Internet Explorer - and a number of
background utilities. Without Hurricane, I could barly get past two versions
of Autocad, Outlook and Excel.
I don't recommend you push your hardware this far as this was a test to see
how well resources were maintained. Without Hurricane, I rarely got below
80% of Resources used, whereas with Hurricane it rarely uses over 60% of my
available resources and rarely have system crashes.

The crashes I have had of late have been due to software incompatibility
which causes General Protection Fault errors rather than resource or stack
errors. The few resource errors have been tracible to program bugs that fail
to release resources after being unloaded.

It all boils down to what works for you. I have three computers and each
seems to have a personality of it's own. Two are the same configuration with
the difference in the hard drive and graphics card. This led credence to the
fact that most conflicts occur in graphic memory - the main cause of quarks
between similar softwares run on each of these machines. The most stable
appears to be my Dell 266Mhz PII Laptop, but not for Voice Recognition. The
same software runs better on my AMD 233Mhz K6 computer with less RAM - So go
figure?

I suggest you start out simple and work your way up depending upon what you
need.

For those interested in Bugs, Conflicts, Hardware and software, I suggest
you visit one of the most informative of websites
http://www.tomshardware.com . This will certainly help many of you
understand the complexities of hardware compatibility and hown something so
small as the type of RAM you use could be the culprit you end up tearing
your hair out for.

Regards
Dennis