Re: Ocean transport

I don't think there are any textbooks or official guidelines regarding the
sway loads ... but the loads acting on the structure at ocean transportation
mode are much, much more severe than Seismic Zone 4 loads. Construction
companies like Bechtel, Parsons, (old) C.F. Braun have done a lot of this kind
of construction (Alaska pipelines, Alaska chemical plants) where large
factories (say, chemical plants) were assembled in modules on land, then they
were placed on barges (in most cases) near New Orleans, Louisiana, and towed
to Alaska via Panama Canal. After successfull transportation of the modules to
the unloading dock in Alaska, the modules were driven on giant self-propelled
dollies to be connected in situ to form one operational unit).

Other than contacting one of these firms and asking them what load criteria
they are using for these kinds of interesting exercises, I have no other
suggestions. I hope they will be cooperative and will give you some good
advise. (But I think you need much more than good advise).

Who is responsible for structure breaking-up during ocean storms, or being
damaged during "normal" ocean or land transporation ???  The structural
engineer is responsible for all of it unless otherwise decided by the client.

Since I was involved in several projects of this type I can assure you that
there are many loading conditions the structural engineer has to investigate
before the client decides that time has come for the engineer to have enough
guts and sign the calculation sheets and the drawings. (As I recall, on the
average, and depending on the type of structure, there were 22 to 28 design
load combinations for each module to be taken into account (seismic loads,
transportation loads on dollies on the horizontal plane and at local slope
conditions, loading and unloading loads, ocean sway loads - forward, backward
and sideways left and right, barge tie-down loads affecting the structure, and
many, many other loading conditions) before final sizes of structural members
were ready to be chosen. To make things more interesting, there was no City
Hall or other engineering authority to check the structure for its internal
and external stability stresses. All checking had to be done in-house, by your
own people. They have to be the best.

I also suggest that you and your co-workers are VERY WELL familiar with
somewhat uncomplicated 3D-finite element computer program - as this program
will be the real work horse for the project.

Two advantages of working on this kind of project:  (1) You are going to work
on a very, very interesting project and (2)  Until the last day of your life
you will not forget how you put the whole thing together.

Good luck

P.S. I would not even attempt to direct such a project without help of high
quality key people who actually worked and completed similar jobs.

------->>>> I could write a book about it, but I better stop here ... for my
own sanity.